Re: Schema variables - new implementation for Postgres 15

From: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>, Joel Jacobson <joel(at)compiler(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Schema variables - new implementation for Postgres 15
Date: 2022-01-22 04:04:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 09:23:34PM +0100, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> st 19. 1. 2022 v 9:01 odesílatel Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com> napsal:
> >
> > Also, the pg_dump handling emits a COLLATION option for session variables
> > even
> > for default collation, while it should only emit it if the collation is
> > not the
> > type's default collation. As a reference, for attributes the SQL used is:
> >
> > "CASE WHEN a.attcollation
> > <> t.typcollation "
> > "THEN a.attcollation ELSE
> > 0 END AS attcollation,\n"
> >

> Isn't it a different issue? I don't see filtering DEFAULT_COLLATION_OID in
> pg_dump code. But this case protects against a redundant COLLATE clause,
> and for consistency, this check should be done for variables too.

Yes, sorry my message was a bit ambiguous as for all native collatable types
the "default" collation is the type's default collation, I thought that the
code extract would make it clear enough.

In any case your fix is exactly what I had in mind so it's perfect, thanks!

> I am sending updated patches

Thanks a lot! I will try to review them over the weekend.