Re: MDAM techniques and Index Skip Scan patch

From: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Floris Van Nee <florisvannee(at)optiver(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jesper Pedersen <jesper(dot)pedersen(at)redhat(dot)com>, Andy Fan <zhihui(dot)fan1213(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MDAM techniques and Index Skip Scan patch
Date: 2022-01-14 08:03:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 08:55:26AM +0100, Dmitry Dolgov wrote:

> FYI, I've attached this thread to the CF item as an informational one,
> but as there are some patches posted here, folks may get confused. For
> those who have landed here with no context, I feel obliged to mention
> that now there are two alternative patch series posted under the same
> CF item:
>
> * the original one lives in [1], waiting for reviews since the last May
> * an alternative one posted here from Floris

Ah, I indeed wasn't sure of which patchset(s) should actually be reviewed.
It's nice to have the alternative approach threads linkied in the commit fest,
but it seems that the cfbot will use the most recent attachments as the only
patchset, thus leaving the "original" one untested.

I'm not sure of what's the best approach in such situation. Maybe creating a
different CF entry for each alternative, and link the other cf entry on the cf
app using the "Add annotations" or "Links" feature rather than attaching
threads?