Re: Add non-blocking version of PQcancel

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Jelte Fennema <Jelte(dot)Fennema(at)microsoft(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add non-blocking version of PQcancel
Date: 2022-01-13 00:44:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2022-01-12 15:22:18 +0000, Jelte Fennema wrote:
> This patch also includes a test for this new API (and also the already
> existing cancellation APIs). The test can be easily run like this:
>
> cd src/test/modules/libpq_pipeline
> make && ./libpq_pipeline cancel

Right now tests fails to build on windows with:

[15:45:10.518] src/interfaces/libpq/libpqdll.def : fatal error LNK1121: duplicate ordinal number '189' [c:\cirrus\libpq.vcxproj]
on fails tests on other platforms. See
https://cirrus-ci.com/build/4791821363576832

> NOTE: I have not tested this with GSS for the moment. My expectation is
> that using this new API with a GSS connection will result in a
> CONNECTION_BAD status when calling PQcancelStatus. The reason for this
> is that GSS reads will also need to communicate back that an EOF was
> found, just like I've done for TLS reads and unencrypted reads. Since in
> case of a cancel connection an EOF is actually expected, and should not
> be treated as an error.

The failures do not seem related to this.

Greetings,

Andres Freund