Re: pg_upgrade verbosity when redirecting output to log file

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade verbosity when redirecting output to log file
Date: 2022-01-10 06:39:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2022-01-10 01:14:32 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Fun! That seems to me to be a strong argument for not letting
> the behavior vary depending on isatty().

Yea.

> I think I'd vote for just nuking that output altogether.
> It seems of very dubious value.

It seems worthwhile in some form - on large cluster in copy mode, the "Copying
user relation files" step can take *quite* a while, and even link/clone mode
aren't fast. But perhaps what'd be really needed is something counting up
actual progress in percentage of files and/or space...

I think just coupling it to verbose mode makes the most sense, for now?

Greetings,

Andres Freund