Re: Add spin_delay() implementation for Arm in s_lock.h

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Blake, Geoff" <blakgeof(at)amazon(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add spin_delay() implementation for Arm in s_lock.h
Date: 2022-01-07 02:33:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

> I landed on the idea of adding some intentional spinlock
> contention to src/test/modules/test_shm_mq, which is a prefab test
> framework for passing data among multiple worker processes. The
> attached quick-hack patch makes it grab and release a spinlock once
> per passed message.

I wonder if this will show the full set of spinlock contention issues - isn't
this only causing contention for one spinlock between two processes? It's not
too hard to imagine delays being more important the more processes contend for
one cacheline. I only skimmed your changes, so I might also just have
misunderstood what you were doing...

Greetings,

Andres Freund