Re: add recovery, backup, archive, streaming etc. activity messages to server logs along with ps display

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: add recovery, backup, archive, streaming etc. activity messages to server logs along with ps display
Date: 2021-12-24 13:49:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Dec 12, 2021 at 06:08:05PM +0530, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:
> Another idea could be to use the infrastructure laid out by the commit
> 9ce346e [1]. With ereport_startup_progress, we can emit the LOGs(of
> current recovering WAL file) for every log_startup_progress_interval
> seconds/milliseconds.
>
> One problem is that ereport_startup_progress doesn't work on
> StandbyMode, maybe we can remove this restriction unless we have a
> major reason for not allowing it on the standby.
> /* Prepare to report progress of the redo phase. */
> if (!StandbyMode)
> begin_startup_progress_phase();

The relevant conversation starts here.
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20210814214700.GO10479%40telsasoft.com

There was a lot of confusion in that thread, though.

The understanding was that it didn't make sense for that feature to
continuously log messages on a standby (every 10sec by default). That seems
like too much - the issue of a checkpointed logged every 5min was enough of a
hurdle.

If you're talking about a new feature that uses the infrastructre from 9ce3,
but is controlled by a separate GUC like log_wal_traffic, that could be okay.

--
Justin