Re: Adding CI to our tree

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Adding CI to our tree
Date: 2021-12-17 19:34:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2021-12-17 09:36:05 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Maye I have missed it, but why are we using ccache here? That seems a
> > bit pointless in an ephemeral instance.
>
> I believe Munro's cfbot tooling is able to save and re-use ccache
> across successive instantiations of a build instance. I've not
> looked at this code, but if it can do that there'd be point to it.

Yes, the ccache cache is persisted across runs (see the *_cache and
upload_cache inststructions). It makes a quite substantial difference. One
reason the windows runs are a lot slower than the others is just that visual
studio isn't yet supported by ccache, and that there doesn't seem to be good
other tools.

The ccache maintainers merged more of the msvc support last weekend! So I have
quite a bit of hope of being able to use ccache there as well.

Greetings,

Andres Freund