Re: Add id's to various elements in protocol.sgml

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Brar Piening <brar(at)gmx(dot)de>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add id's to various elements in protocol.sgml
Date: 2021-12-15 14:49:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2021-Dec-15, Brar Piening wrote:

> On Dec 14, 2021 at 20:47, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> >
> > Hmm, I think we tend to avoid xreflabels; see
> > https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/8315c0ca-7758-8823-fcb6-f37f9413e6b6@2ndquadrant.com
>
> Ok, thank you for the hint.
> I added them because <varlistentry> doesn't automatically generate
> labels and they were present in the current docs for
> CREATE_REPLICATION_SLOT
> (https://github.com/postgres/postgres/blob/22bd3cbe0c284758d7174321f5596763095cdd55/doc/src/sgml/protocol.sgml#L1944).

Hmm, now that you mention it, we do have xreflabels for varlistentrys in
quite a few places. Maybe we need to update README.links to mention
this.

> Since I can't argue towards some general utility for the xreflabels and
> don't have any other solid argument in favor of adding more, I will
> remove them from my current patch but leave the existing ones intact.

Yeah, I think not adding them until we have a use for them might be
wisest.

--
Álvaro Herrera 39°49'30"S 73°17'W — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"La vida es para el que se aventura"