Re: Column Filtering in Logical Replication

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Rahila Syed <rahilasyed90(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Column Filtering in Logical Replication
Date: 2021-12-13 21:19:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2021-Dec-13, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Hmm, I messed up the patch file I sent. Here's the complete patch.

Actually, this requires even a bit more mess than this to be really
complete if we want to be strict about it. The reason is that, with the
patch I just posted, we're creating a new type of representable object
that will need to have some way of making it through pg_identify_object,
pg_get_object_address, pg_identify_object_as_address. This is only
visible as one tries to patch object_address.sql (auditability of DDL
operations being the goal).

I think this means we need a new OBJECT_PUBLICATION_REL_COLUMN value in
the ObjectType (paralelling OBJECT_COLUMN), and no new ObjectClass
value. Looking now to confirm.

--
Álvaro Herrera Valdivia, Chile — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"El que vive para el futuro es un iluso, y el que vive para el pasado,