Re: extended stats on partitioned tables

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>, Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: extended stats on partitioned tables
Date: 2021-12-13 13:48:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Dec 12, 2021 at 10:29:39PM +0100, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> > In your 0003 patch, the "if inh: break" isn't removed from examine_variable(),
> > but the corresponding thing is removed everywhere else.
>
> Ah, you're right. And it wasn't updated in the 0002 patch either - it
> should do the relkind check too, to allow partitioned tables. Fixed.

I think you fixed it in 0002 (thanks) but still wasn't removed from 0003?

In these comments:
+ * When dealing with regular inheritance trees, ignore extended stats
+ * (which were built without data from child rels, and thus do not
+ * represent them). For partitioned tables data from partitions are
+ * in the stats (and there's no data in the non-leaf relations), so
+ * in this case we do consider extended stats.

I suggest to add a comment after "For partitioned tables".

--
Justin