Re: Commitfest 2021-11 Patch Triage - Part 1

From: Yugo NAGATA <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Marcos Pegoraro <marcos(at)f10(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Commitfest 2021-11 Patch Triage - Part 1
Date: 2021-12-01 07:06:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 29 Nov 2021 09:03:06 -0300
Marcos Pegoraro <marcos(at)f10(dot)com(dot)br> wrote:

> > > 2138: Incremental Materialized View Maintenance
> >
> > I've responded to it in the following thread, and described the recent
> > discussions,
> > current status, summary of IVM feature and design, and past discussions.
> >

> IVM is a wonderful feature, but some features were omitted because of
> its complexity, so maybe IVM will spend more time to completely solve what
> it wants to do.
> I did not understand, and didn´t find on docs, if a Materialized View is a
> table, why I cannot change a specific record ?
> Because if I have a way to create and refresh the entire view and update a
> single record it would give me all power of IVM is trying to.

I think the reason why we can't update a materialized view directly is because
it is basically a "view" and it should not contains any data irrelevant to its
definition and underlying tables. If we would have a feature to update a
materialized view direcly, maybe, it should behave as updatable-view as well
as normal (virtual) views, although I am not sure....

--
Yugo NAGATA <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>