Re: GUC flags

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GUC flags
Date: 2021-12-01 07:59:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 03:36:45PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> - gettext_noop("Forces a switch to the next WAL file if a "
> - "new file has not been started within N seconds."),
> + gettext_noop("Sets the amount of time to wait before forcing a "
> + "switch to the next WAL file."),

..

> - gettext_noop("Waits N seconds on connection startup after authentication."),
> + gettext_noop("Sets the amount of seconds to wait on connection "
> + "startup after authentication."),

"amount of time", like above.

> - gettext_noop("Waits N seconds on connection startup before authentication."),
> + gettext_noop("Sets the amount of seconds to wait on connection "
> + "startup before authentication."),

same

> {
> {"checkpoint_warning", PGC_SIGHUP, WAL_CHECKPOINTS,
> - gettext_noop("Enables warnings if checkpoint segments are filled more "
> - "frequently than this."),
> + gettext_noop("Sets the maximum time before warning if checkpoints "
> + "triggered by WAL volume happen too frequently."),
> gettext_noop("Write a message to the server log if checkpoints "
> - "caused by the filling of checkpoint segment files happens more "
> + "caused by the filling of WAL segment files happens more "

It should say "happen" , since it's referring to "checkpoints".
That was a pre-existing issue.

> {"log_parameter_max_length", PGC_SUSET, LOGGING_WHAT,
> - gettext_noop("When logging statements, limit logged parameter values to first N bytes."),
> + gettext_noop("Sets the maximum amount of data logged for bind "
> + "parameter values when logging statements."),

I think this one should actually say "in bytes" or at least say "maximum
length". It seems unlikely that someone is going to specify this in other
units, and it's confusing to everyone else to refer to "amount of data" instead
of "length in bytes".

> {"log_parameter_max_length_on_error", PGC_USERSET, LOGGING_WHAT,
> - gettext_noop("When reporting an error, limit logged parameter values to first N bytes."),
> + gettext_noop("Sets the maximum amount of data logged for bind "
> + "parameter values when logging statements, on error."),

same

> - gettext_noop("Automatic log file rotation will occur after N minutes."),
> + gettext_noop("Sets the maximum amount of time to wait before "
> + "forcing log file rotation."),

Should it say "maximum" ? Does that mean anything ?

--
Justin