Re: add recovery, backup, archive, streaming etc. activity messages to server logs along with ps display

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: add recovery, backup, archive, streaming etc. activity messages to server logs along with ps display
Date: 2021-11-16 16:26:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2021-Nov-16, Bossart, Nathan wrote:

> On 11/15/21, 7:14 PM, "Michael Paquier" <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:
> > + ereport(DEBUG1,
> > + (errmsg_internal("streaming %X/%X",
> > + LSN_FORMAT_ARGS(sentPtr))));
> > Anyway, those two ones are going to make the logs much more noisy, no?
> > The same could be said about XLogFileRead(), joining the point of
> > Nathan's upthread. So I cannot get excited by this change.
>
> Yeah, this might even be too noisy for DEBUG5.

Nod. And if you're at DEBUG5, the log contains so much other crap that
it is unusable for any purposes anyway.

My opinion is that adding these things willy-nilly is not a solution to
any actual problem. Adding a few additional log lines that are
low-volume at DEBUG1 might be useful, but below that (DEBUG2 etc) it's
not good for anything other than specific development, IMO. At least
this particular one for streaming replication I think we should not
include.

--
Álvaro Herrera PostgreSQL Developer — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/