Re: Patch abstracts in the Commitfest app

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch abstracts in the Commitfest app
Date: 2021-11-12 14:24:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 01:51:28PM +0100, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> While reading through and working with the hundreds of patches in the CF app a
> small feature/process request struck me: it would be really helpful if the
> patch had a brief abstract outlining what it aims to add or fix (or summary,
> description or something else; not sure what to call it). Basically a
> two-sentence or so version of the email posting the patch to -hackers.

This seems fine ; that purpose is partially served (and duplicated) by the
patch commit messages (if used).

Actually, it's already possible to add an "annotation" to a given message-id.
I've just added this here: https://commitfest.postgresql.org/35/2800/

I think this that feature is rarely used, but I can see the value in using it
more, for long threads.

If you really wanted to make an "abstract" not associated with any message-id,
I think it would be implemented simply by removing the restriction that an
message-id must be specified and must match an existing message in the thead.

--
Justin