Re: extended stats on partitioned tables

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: extended stats on partitioned tables
Date: 2021-11-03 23:19:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Nov 03, 2021 at 11:48:44PM +0100, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> On 10/8/21 12:45 AM, Justin Pryzby wrote:

> >> Actually, this is confusing. Which patch is the one we should be
> >> reviewing?
> >
> > It is confusing, but not as much as I first thought. Please check the commit
> > messages.
> >
> > The first two patches are meant to be applied to master *and* backpatched. The
> > first one intends to fixes the bug that non-inherited stats are being used for
> > queries of inheritance trees. The 2nd one fixes the regression that stats are
> > not collected for inheritence trees of partitioned tables (which is the only
> > type of stats they could ever possibly have).
>
> I think 0001 and 0002 seem mostly fine, but it seems a bit strange to do
> the (!rte->inh) check in the rel->statlist loops. AFAICS both places
> could do that right at the beginning, because it does not depend on the
> statistics object at all, just the RelOptInfo.

I probably did this to make the code change small, to avoid indentin the whole
block.

> > And the 3rd+4th patches (Tomas' plus my changes) allow collecting both
> > inherited and non-inherited stats, only in master, since it requires a catalog
> > change. It's a bit confusing that patch #4 removes most what I added in
> > patches 1 and 2. But that's exactly what's needed to collect and apply both
> > inherited and non-inherited stats: the first two patches avoid applying stats
> > collected with the wrong inheritence. That's also what's needed for the
> > patchset to follow the normal "apply to master and backpatch" process, rather
> > than 2 patches which are backpatched but not applied to master, and one which
> > is applied to master and not backpatched..
> >

> Yeah. Af first I was a bit confused because after applying 0003 there
> are both the fixes and the "correct" way, but then I realized 0004
> removes the unnecessary bits.

This was to leave your 0003 (mostly) unchanged, so you can see and/or apply my
changes. They should be squished together.

> The one thing 0003 still needs is to rework the places that need to
> touch both inh and !inh stats. The patch simply does
>
> for (inh = 0; inh <= 1; inh++) { ... }
>
> but that feels a bit too hackish. But if we don't know which of the two
> stats exist, I'm not sure what to do about it.

There's also this:

On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 03:25:50PM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> + /* create only the "stxdinherit=false", because that always exists */
> + datavalues[Anum_pg_statistic_ext_data_stxdinherit - 1] = ObjectIdGetDatum(false);
>
> That'd be confusing for partitioned tables, no?
> They'd always have an row with no data.
> I guess it could be stxdinherit = BoolGetDatum(rel->rd_rel->relkind == RELKIND_PARTITIONED_TABLE).
> (not ObjectIdGetDatum).
> Then, that affects the loops which delete the tuples - neither inh nor !inh is
> guaranteed, unless you check relkind there, too.

Maybe the for inh<=1 loop should instead be two calls to new functions factored
out of get_relation_statistics() and RemoveStatisticsById(), which take "bool
inh".

> And I'm not sure we do the right thing after removing children, for example
> (that should drop the inheritance stats, I guess).

Do you mean for inheritance only ? Or partitions too ?
I think for partitions, the stats should stay.
And for inheritence, they can stay, for consistency with partitions, and since
it does no harm.