Re: parallelizing the archiver

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>, Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: parallelizing the archiver
Date: 2021-10-19 18:50:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greetings,

* Magnus Hagander (magnus(at)hagander(dot)net) wrote:
> Backwards compatibility is definitely a must, I'd say. Regardless of
> exactly how the backwards-compatible pugin is shipped, it should be what's
> turned on by default.

I keep seeing this thrown around and I don't quite get why we feel this
is the case. I'm not completely against trying to maintain backwards
compatibility, but at the same time, we just went through changing quite
a bit around in v12 with the restore command and that's the other half
of this. Why are we so concerned about backwards compatibility here
when there was hardly any complaint raised about breaking it in the
restore case?

If maintaining compatibility makes this a lot more difficult or ugly,
then I'm against doing so. I don't know that to be the case, none of
the proposed approaches really sound all that bad to me, but I certainly
don't think we should be entirely avoiding the idea of breaking
backwards compatibility here. We literally just did that and while
there's been some noise about it, it's hardly risen to the level of
being "something we should never, ever, even consider doing again" as
seems to be implied on this thread.

For those who might argue that maintaining compatibility for archive
command is somehow more important than for restore command- allow me to
save you the trouble and just let you know that I don't buy off on such
an argument. If anything, it should be the opposite. You back up your
database all the time and you're likely to see much more quickly if that
stops working. Database restores, on the other hand, are nearly always
done in times of great stress and when you want things to be very clear
and easy to follow and for everything to 'just work'.

Thanks,

Stephen