Re: ALTER INDEX .. RENAME allows to rename tables/views as well

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Onder Kalaci <onderk(at)microsoft(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALTER INDEX .. RENAME allows to rename tables/views as well
Date: 2021-10-18 23:55:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2021-Oct-07, Bossart, Nathan wrote:

> Good idea. Patch attached.

Yeah, that sounds exactly what I was thinking.

Now, what is the worst that can happen if we rename a table under SUE
and somebody else is using the table concurrently? Is there any way to
cause a backend crash or something like that? As far as I can see,
because we grab a fresh catalog snapshot for each query, you can't cause
anything worse than reading from a different table. I do lack
imagination for creating attacks, though.

So my inclination would be to apply this to master only.

--
Álvaro Herrera PostgreSQL Developer — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"The Gord often wonders why people threaten never to come back after they've