Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Josef Šimánek <josef(dot)simanek(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson
Date: 2021-10-14 17:26:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2021-10-13 23:58:12 +0200, Josef Šimánek wrote:
> st 13. 10. 2021 v 1:54 odesílatel Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> napsal:
> > This *very* likely is related to building in a source tree that also contains
> > a "non-meson" build "in place". The problem is that the meson build picks up
> > the pg_config.h generated by ./configure in the "normal" build, rather than
> > the one meson generated itself.
> >
> > You'd need to execute make distclean or such, or use a separate git checkout.
> >
> > I forgot about this issue because I only ever build postgres from outside the
> > source-tree (by invoking configure from a separate directory), so there's
> > never build products in it. I think at least I need to make the build emit a
> > warning / error if there's a pg_config.h in the source tree...
>
> Hello, thanks for the hint. I can finally build using meson and run
> regress tests.

I yesterday pushed code that should detect this case (with an error). Should
now detect the situation both when you first run configure in tree, and then
meson, and the other way round (by the dirty hack of ./configure touch'ing
meson.build at the end for in-tree builds).

> The only problem I do have currently is auto-detection of perl. I'm
> getting error related to missing "Opcode.pm". PERL is autodetected and
> enabled (https://pastebin.com/xfRRrDcU).
>
> I do get the same error when I enforce perl for current master build
> (./configure --with-perl). Using ./configure with perl autodetection
> skips plperl extension on my system.
>
> Disabling perl manually for meson build (meson setup build
> --reconfigure --buildtype debug -Dperl=disabled) works for me.

Yay, thanks for testing!

Greetings,

Andres Freund