Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson
Date: 2021-10-13 01:03:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2021-10-12 13:42:56 -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2021-10-12 16:02:14 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> > You do that by putting a path to it at the start of the PATH. The wrinkle in
> > this is that you need prove to point to one that understands virtual
> > paths. So you do something like this:
> >

> > PATH="/c/perl/bin:$PATH" PROVE=/bin/core_perl/prove configure ...
>
> Oh my.
>
> I'll try that later... I wonder if we could make this easier from our side?
> This is a lot of magic to know.

I managed to get this working. At first it failed because I don't have
pexports - it's not available inside msys as far as I could tell. And seems to
be unmaintained. But replacing pexports with gendef fixed that.

There's this comment in src/pl/plperl/GNUmakefile

# Perl on win32 ships with import libraries only for Microsoft Visual C++,
# which are not compatible with mingw gcc. Therefore we need to build a
# new import library to link with.

but I seem to be able to link fine without going through that song-and-dance?

Greetings,

Andres Freund