Re: Postgres perl module namespace

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres perl module namespace
Date: 2021-09-08 04:00:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 07, 2021 at 07:43:47AM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> >> Good point. Here's the same thing using PostgreSQL::Test
> > A minor point: this introduces PostgreSQL::Test::PostgresVersion.
> > Could be this stripped down to PostgreSQL::Test::Version instead?
>
> That name isn't very clear - what is it the version of, PostgreSQL or
> the test?

Fair.

> There's nothing very test-specific about this module - it simply
> encapsulates a Postgres version string. So maybe it should just be
> PostgreSQL::Version.

Could be fine, but that name could be useful as a CPAN module. These modules
don't belong on CPAN, so I'd keep PostgreSQL::Test::PostgresVersion. There's
only one reference in the tree, so optimizing that particular name is less
exciting.

(I wondered about using PGXS:: as the namespace for all these modules, since
it's short and "pgxs" is the closest thing to a name for the PostgreSQL build
system. Overall, I didn't convince myself about it being an improvement.)