Re: AIX: Symbols are missing in libpq.a

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: "REIX, Tony" <tony(dot)reix(at)atos(dot)net>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, "CHIGOT, CLEMENT" <clement(dot)chigot(at)atos(dot)net>
Subject: Re: AIX: Symbols are missing in libpq.a
Date: 2021-09-03 02:58:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 01, 2021 at 08:59:57AM +0000, REIX, Tony wrote:
> Here is a new patch, using the export.txt whenever it does exist.
> I have tested it with v13.4 : it's OK.
> Patch for 14beta3 should be the same since there was no change for src/Makefile.shlib between v13 and v14.

Thanks. This looks good. I'm attaching what I intend to push, which just
adds a log message and some cosmetic changes compared to your version. Here
are the missing symbols restored by the patch:

pg_encoding_to_char
pg_utf_mblen
pg_char_to_encoding
pg_valid_server_encoding
pg_valid_server_encoding_id

I was ambivalent about whether to back-patch to v13 or to stop at v14, but I
decided that v13 should have this change. We should expect sad users when
libpq lacks a documented symbol. Complaints about loss of undocumented
symbols (e.g. pqParseInput3) are unlikely, and we're even less likely to have
users opposing reintroduction of long-documented symbols. An alternative
would be to have v13 merge the symbol lists, like your original proposal, so
we're not removing even undocumented symbols. I doubt applications have
accrued dependencies on libpq-internal symbols in the year since v13 appeared,
particularly since those symbols are inaccessible on Linux. Our AIX export
lists never included libpgport or libpgcommon symbols.

Attachment Content-Type Size
aix-SHLIB_EXPORTS-v2.patch text/plain 2.3 KB