Re: preserving db/ts/relfilenode OIDs across pg_upgrade (was Re: storing an explicit nonce)

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Shruthi Gowda <gowdashru(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Kincaid <tomjohnkincaid(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: preserving db/ts/relfilenode OIDs across pg_upgrade (was Re: storing an explicit nonce)
Date: 2021-08-26 15:36:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greetings,

* Bruce Momjian (bruce(at)momjian(dot)us) wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 11:00:47AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> > Anyone see a flaw in that analysis?
>
> I am still waiting to hear the purpose of this preservation. As long as
> you don't apply the patch, I guess I will just stop asking.

I'm a bit confused why this question keeps coming up as we've discussed
multiple reasons (incremental backups, possible use for TDE which would
make this required, general improved sanity when working with pg_upgrade
is frankly a benefit in its own right too...). If the additional code
was a huge burden or even a moderate one then that might be an argument
against, but it hardly sounds like it will be given Robert's thorough
analysis so far and the (admittedly not complete, but not that far from
it based on the DB OID review) proposed patch.

Thanks,

Stephen