Re: prevent immature WAL streaming

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org
Cc: Jakub(dot)Wartak(at)tomtom(dot)com, bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, mengjuan(dot)cmj(at)alibaba-inc(dot)com
Subject: Re: prevent immature WAL streaming
Date: 2021-08-26 01:20:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Wed, 25 Aug 2021 20:20:04 -0400, "alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org" <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> wrote in
> BTW while going about testing this, I noticed that we forbid
> pg_walfile_name() while in recovery. That restriction was added by
> commit 370f770c15a4 because ThisTimeLineID was not set correctly during
> recovery. That was supposed to be fixed by commit 1148e22a82ed, so I
> thought that it should be possible to remove the restriction. However,
> I did that per the attached patch, but was quickly disappointed because
> ThisTimeLineID seems to remain zero in a standby for reasons that I
> didn't investigate.

On a intermediate node of a cascading replication set, timeline id on
walsender and walrecever can differ and ordinary backends cannot
decide which to use.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi