Re: Mark all GUC variable as PGDLLIMPORT

From: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Mark all GUC variable as PGDLLIMPORT
Date: 2021-08-22 12:07:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Aug 22, 2021 at 08:51:26PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 22, 2021 at 04:10:33PM +0800, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
> > This topic has been raised multiple time over the years, and I don't see any
> > objection to add such an annotation at least for all GUC variables (either the
> > direct variables or the indirect variables set during the hook execution), so
> > PFA a patch that takes care of all the GUC.
> >
> > I don't now if that's still an option at that point, but backporting to at
> > least pg14 if that patch is accepted would be quite helpful.
>
> These are usually just applied on HEAD

Yeah but 14 isn't released yet, and this is a really low risk change.

> , and on a parameter-basis based
> on requests from extension authors. If you wish to make your
> extensions able to work on Windows, that's a good idea, but I would
> recommend to limit this exercise to what's really necessary for your
> purpose.

I disagree. For random global variables I agree that we shouldn't mark them
all blindly, but for GUCs it's pretty clear that they're intended to be
accessible from any caller, including extensions. Why treating Windows as a
second-class citizen, especially when any change can only be used a year after
someone complained?