Re: strange case of "if ((a & b))"

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: strange case of "if ((a & b))"
Date: 2021-08-18 19:15:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 01:28:56PM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > > 0002 is a bonus patch I found in my typos branch. I will hold onto it for
> > > later if nobody wants to deal with it.
> >
> > I am ready to deal with this patch. Should I apply it to master soon?
>
> Thanks for looking at it. I suggest not to apply 0002 - I'll resend it on
> another thread with other, similar cleanups.

OK.

> However, I have another patch to clean up stuff like "? true : false", which
> seems related to this patch (but maybe it should be applied separately).

Yes, that is odd. I think it is related to the confusion that if ()
compares non-zero(true) and zero(false), while booleans return only 1/0
(no other values). This explores that:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/22489517/c-language-boolean-expression-return-value

Do you want me to consider this patch now?

EDB https://enterprisedb.com