Re: Autovacuum on partitioned table (autoanalyze)

From: Álvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, yuzuko <yuzukohosoya(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: Autovacuum on partitioned table (autoanalyze)
Date: 2021-08-16 17:00:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2021-Aug-16, Tom Lane wrote:

> =?utf-8?Q?=C3=81lvaro?= Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> writes:
> > Here's the reversal patch for the 14 branch. (It applies cleanly to
> > master, but the unused member of PgStat_StatTabEntry needs to be
> > removed and catversion bumped).
>
> I don't follow the connection to catversion?

Sorry, I misspoke -- I mean PGSTAT_FORMAT_FILE_ID. I shouldn't just
change it, since if I do then the file is reported as corrupted and all
counters are lost. So in the posted patch I did as you suggest:

> I agree that we probably don't want to change PgStat_StatTabEntry in
> v14 at this point. But it'd be a good idea to attach a comment to
> the entry saying it's unused but left there for ABI reasons.

It's only in branch master that I'd change the pgstat format version and
remove the field. This is what I meant with the patch being for v14 and
a tweak needed for this in master.

A catversion bump would be required to change the definition of
pg_stat_user_tables, which the patch being reverted originally changed
to include relkind 'p'. A straight revert would remove that, but in my
reversal patch I chose to keep it in place.

--
Álvaro Herrera 39°49'30"S 73°17'W — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"Pensar que el espectro que vemos es ilusorio no lo despoja de espanto,