Re: corruption of WAL page header is never reported

From: Yugo NAGATA <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: corruption of WAL page header is never reported
Date: 2021-07-19 09:13:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 19 Jul 2021 17:47:07 +0900 (JST)
Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> At Mon, 19 Jul 2021 16:00:39 +0900, Yugo NAGATA <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote in
> > Your patch doesn't fix the issue that the error message is never reported in
> > standby mode. When a WAL page header is broken, the standby would silently repeat
> > retrying forever.
>
> Ok, I see your point and agree to that.
>
> > I think we have to let users know the corruption of WAL page header even in
> > standby mode, not? A corruption of WAL record header is always reported,
> > by the way. (See that XLogReadRecord is calling ValidXLogRecordHeader.)
>
> Howeer, I'm still on the opinion that we don't need to check that
> while in standby mode.
>
> How about the attached?

On Mon, 19 Jul 2021 17:50:16 +0900 (JST)
Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> me> Howeer, I'm still on the opinion that we don't need to check that
> me> while in standby mode.
>
> Of course it's typo of "while not in standby mode".

Thanks for updating the patch. I agree with you.

I think it is nice to fix to perform the check only during standby mode
because it make a bit clearer why we check it immediately in XLogPageRead.

Regards,
Yugo Nagata

--
Yugo NAGATA <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>