Re: Windows locale cause server to send invalid data encoding to client

From: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Antoine <plaskowski(dot)stanislas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Windows locale cause server to send invalid data encoding to client
Date: 2021-07-14 14:32:25
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 10:19:59AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> I wonder if we should decline
> to translate any error messages until we've established the requested
> client encoding. Sending the message in English isn't ideal either,
> but it'd avoid this hazard.

I'm not sure which one is the worst. One the bright side there aren't that
many messages that can be sent until the client encoding can be set up for I'm
+0.5 for this change.

I don't think this would be back patchable right? In any case it won't help
existing servers, so drivers won't benefit from such a change before many
years :(