Re: [HACKERS] WIP aPatch: Pgbench Serialization and deadlock errors

From: Yugo NAGATA <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr, thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com, m(dot)polyakova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru, alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] WIP aPatch: Pgbench Serialization and deadlock errors
Date: 2021-07-13 06:50:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 13 Jul 2021 14:35:00 +0900 (JST)
Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:

> > That is the behavior in the latest patch. Once -T has expired, any new
> > transaction or retry does not start.
>
> Actually v14 has not changed the behavior in this regard as explained
> in different email:

Right. Both of v13 and v14 doen't start any new transaction or retry once
-T has expired.

> >> I agree.
> >
> > I also agree. Although I couldn't get an answer what does he think the actual
> > harm for users due to termination of retrying by the -T option is, I guess it just
> > complained about reporting the termination of retrying as failures. Therefore,
> > I will fix to finish the benchmark when the time is over during retrying, that is,
> > change the state to CSTATE_FINISHED instead of CSTATE_ERROR in such cases.
>
> I guess Fabien wanted it differently. Suppose "-c 10 and -T 30" and we
> have 100 success transactions by time 25. At time 25 pgbench starts
> next benchmark cycle and by time 30 there are 10 failing transactions
> (because they are retrying). pgbench stops the execution at time
> 30. According your proposal (change the state to CSTATE_FINISHED
> instead of CSTATE_ERROR) the total number of success transactions will
> be 100 + 10 = 110, right?

No. The last failed transaction is not counted because CSTATE_END_TX is
bypassed, so please don't worry.

> Also actually I have explained the harm number of times but you have
> kept on ignoring it because "it's subtle". My request has been pretty
> simple.
>
> > number of failed transactions: 9 (0.916%)
>
> I don't like this and want to have the failed transactions to be 0.
> Who wants a benchmark result having errors?

I was asking you because I would like to confirm what you really complained
about; whether the problem is that retrying transaction is terminated by -T
option, or that pgbench reports it as the number of failed transactions? But
now, I understood this is the latter that you don't want to count the temination
of retrying as failures. Thanks.

Regards,
Yugo Nagata

--
Yugo NAGATA <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>