Re: Pipeline mode and PQpipelineSync()

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvaro(dot)herrera(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Boris Kolpackov <boris(at)codesynthesis(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Subject: Re: Pipeline mode and PQpipelineSync()
Date: 2021-07-08 18:15:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Looking at this again, I noticed that I could probably do away with the
switch on pipelineStatus, and just call pqPipelineProcessQueue in all
cases when appending commands to the queue; I *think* that will do the
right thing in all cases. *Except* that I don't know what will happen
if the program is in the middle of processing a result in single-row
mode, and then sends another query: that would wipe out the pending
results of the query being processed ... but maybe that problem can
already occur in some other way.

I'll have to write some more tests in libpq_pipeline to verify this.

--
Álvaro Herrera Valdivia, Chile — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"Java is clearly an example of money oriented programming" (A. Stepanov)