Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft
Date: 2021-06-29 02:25:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jun 28, 2021 at 09:01:40PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 06:04:56PM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > > The postgres_fdw supports these type of scans if async_capable is set.
> > this type
> > remove "The" ?
>
> New text is:
>
> <link
> linkend="postgres-fdw"><application>postgres_fdw</application></link>
> supports these type of scans if <literal>async_capable</literal>
>
> I kept "these types" because the paragraph above says:
>
> Allow a query referencing multiple <link
> linkend="sql-createforeigntable">foreign tables</link> to perform
> foreign table scans in parallel (Robert Haas, Kyotaro Horiguchi,
> Thomas Munro, Etsuro Fujita)
>
> so we are talking about scans in parallel, so I think it is plural. Wrong?

I think the "type" of scan being referenced is a "parallel" type, right ?
So there's only one type, but multiple scans.
So I think it should say "this type" of scan, but it seems like it's not only
easier but generally better to say

I mean markup for the operators, like <literal>&lt;@</literal>

> > > Add primary keys, unique constraints, and foreign keys to system catalogs (Peter Eisentraut)
>
> > Should mention and link to pg_get_catalog_foreign_keys()
>
> Uh, why? I don't see the release notes as a place to explain how to use
> Postgres features.

Because the normal way to show foreign keys (\d) doesn't show them - the
references are shown by the function.

Thanks,
--
Justin