Re: Deparsing rewritten query

From: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Deparsing rewritten query
Date: 2021-06-27 15:21:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jun 27, 2021 at 11:14:05AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>
> > Agreed. One the other hand having such a function in core may ensure that any
> > significant change in those area will keep an API to retrieve the final query
> > representation.
>
> My point is precisely that I'm unwilling to make such a promise.
>
> I do not buy that this capability is worth very much, given that
> we've gotten along fine without it for twenty-plus years. If you
> want to have it as an internal, might-change-at-any-time API,
> that seems all right.

I'm totally fine with a might-change-at-any-time API, but not with a
might-disappear-at-anytime API. If exposing get_query_def() can become
virtually useless in a few releases with no hope to get required in-core change
for retrieving the final query representation, I agree this we can stop the
discussion here.