Re: Add PortalDrop in exec_execute_message

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Yura Sokolov <y(dot)sokolov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add PortalDrop in exec_execute_message
Date: 2021-05-26 20:59:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2021-May-25, Yura Sokolov wrote:

> Tom Lane писал 2021-05-21 21:23:
> > Yura Sokolov <y(dot)sokolov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> writes:
> > > I propose to add PortalDrop at the 'if (completed)' branch of
> > > exec_execute_message.
> >
> > This violates our wire protocol specification, which
> > specifically says
> >
> > If successfully created, a named portal object lasts till the end of
> > the current transaction, unless explicitly destroyed. An unnamed
> > portal is destroyed at the end of the transaction, or as soon as the
> > next Bind statement specifying the unnamed portal as destination is
> > issued. (Note that a simple Query message also destroys the unnamed
> > portal.)
> >
> > I'm inclined to think that your complaint would be better handled
> > by having the client send a portal-close command, if it's not
> > going to do something else immediately.
>
> I thought about it as well. Then, if I understand correctly,
> PQsendQueryGuts and PQsendQueryInternal in pipeline mode should send
> "close portal" (CP) message after "execute" message, right?

I don't think they should do that. The portal remains open, and the
libpq interface does that. The portal gets closed at end of transaction
without the need for any client message. I think if the client wanted
to close the portal ahead of time, it would need a new libpq entry point
to send the message to do that.

(I didn't add a Close Portal message to PQsendQueryInternal in pipeline
mode precisely because there is no such message in PQsendQueryGuts.
I think it would be wrong to unconditionally add a Close Portal message
to any of those places.)

--
Álvaro Herrera 39°49'30"S 73°17'W