Re: pg_get_wal_replay_pause_state() should not return 'paused' while a promotion is ongoing.

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_get_wal_replay_pause_state() should not return 'paused' while a promotion is ongoing.
Date: 2021-05-19 00:53:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Tue, 18 May 2021 12:48:38 +0900, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com> wrote in
> Currently a promotion causes all available WAL to be replayed before
> a standby becomes a primary whether it was in paused state or not.
> OTOH, something like immediate promotion (i.e., standby becomes
> a primary without replaying outstanding WAL) might be useful for
> some cases. I don't object to that.

Mmm. I was confused with recovery target + pause. Actually promotion
works as so and it is documented. Anyway it is a matter of the next
version.

I forgot to mention the patch itself, but what the patch does looks
fine to me. Disabling pause after setting SharedProteIsTriggered
prevents later re-pausing (from the sql function).

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center