Re: compute_query_id and pg_stat_statements

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: compute_query_id and pg_stat_statements
Date: 2021-05-15 14:00:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, May 15, 2021 at 04:09:32PM +0800, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
> > While thinking about this patch it occurred to that an useful gadget
> > might be to let pg_stat_statements be loaded always, but with
> > compute_query_id=false; so it's never active; except if you
> > ALTER {DATABASE, USER} foo SET (compute_query_id=on);
> > so that it's possible to enable it selectively. I think this doesn't
> > currently achieve anything because pgss_store is always called
> > regardless of query ID being active (so you'd always have at least one
> > function call as performance penalty, only that the work would be for
> > naught), but that seems a simple change to make. I didn't look closely
> > to see what other things would need patched.
>
> Couldn't it already be achieved with ALTER [ DATABASE | USER ] foo SET
> pg_stat_statements.track = [ none | top | all ] ?

I am no longer the committer in charge of this feature, but I would like
to remind the group that beta1 will be wrapped on Monday, and it is hard
to change non-read-only GUCs after beta since the settings are embedded
in postgresql.conf. There is also a release notes item that probably
will need to be adjusted.

EDB https://enterprisedb.com