Re: compute_query_id and pg_stat_statements

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: compute_query_id and pg_stat_statements
Date: 2021-05-13 17:05:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 12:45:07PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 5/13/21 12:18 AM, Fujii Masao wrote:
> >

> > If we do this, compute_query_id=auto seems to be similar to
> > huge_pages=try.
> > When huge_pages=try, whether huge pages is actually used is defined
> > depending
> > outside PostgreSQL (i.e, OS setting in this case). Neither
> > pg_settings.setting nor
> > souce are not changed in that case.
> >

> Not a bad analogy, showing there's some precedent for this sort of thing.
>

> The only thing that bugs me is that we're pretty damn late in the
> process to be engaging in this amount of design.

The issue is that there is no external way to check what query id
computation is being used, unlike huge pages, which can be queried from
the operating system. I also agree it is late, and discussion of auto
continues to show cases where this makes later improvements more
complex.

EDB https://enterprisedb.com