Re: compute_query_id and pg_stat_statements

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: magnus(at)hagander(dot)net, masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com, michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz, andres(at)anarazel(dot)de, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org, sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net, bruce(at)momjian(dot)us, myon(at)debian(dot)org, peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: compute_query_id and pg_stat_statements
Date: 2021-05-13 03:11:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Thu, 13 May 2021 10:43:03 +0800, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote in
> On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 11:26:29AM +0900, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> >
> > I believe any "real"
> > alternative query-id provider is supposed to be hooked "before"
> > pg_stat_statements. (It is a kind of magic to control the order of
> > plugins, though..
>
> Indeed, you have to configure shared_preload_libraries depending on whether
> each module calls the previous post_parse_analyze_hook before or after its own
> processing, and that's the main reason why I think a dedicated entry point
> would be better.

I see it as cleaner than the status-quo. (But still believing less
cleaner than DLL:p, since the same problem happens if two
query_id-generating modules are competing on the new hook ponit.).

You told that a special query-id provider needed to be separated to
another DLL, but a preload shared librarie is also a dll and I think
any exported function in it can be obtained via
load_external_function().

As the result, even if we take the DLL approach, still not need to
split out the query-id provider part. By the following config:

> query_id_provider = 'pg_stat_statements'

the core can obtain the entrypoint of, say, "_PG_calculate_query_id"
to call it. And it can be of another module.

It seems like the only problem doing that is we don't have a means to
call per-process intializer for a preload libralies.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center