Re: Always bump PG_CONTROL_VERSION?

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Always bump PG_CONTROL_VERSION?
Date: 2021-05-12 20:30:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2021-05-12 16:18:16 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Even if we did change the rule going forward, you'd still need to
> do it properly for existing releases, so I don't see that you're
> going to save anything.

It turns out that the last time a major version didn't have a unique
control file version was 9.5, I assume that's where David is coming
from.

That said, I don't think it's a good practice to use the control file
version as an identifier for the major version. Who knows, it might be
necessary to add an optional new format in a minor version at some point
or such crazyness. And then there's the beta stuff you'd mentioned, etc.

Greetings,

Andres Freund