Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft
Date: 2021-05-11 21:47:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2021-May-11, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > 86dc90056d Rework planning and execution of UPDATE and DELETE.
> > a1115fa078 Postpone some more stuff out of ExecInitModifyTable.
> > c5b7ba4e67 Postpone some stuff out of ExecInitModifyTable.

Are these the set that means UPDATE/DELETE can now do partition pruning?
I think that's a significant improvement, because table partitioning
becomes usable in situations where it previously wasn't, so let's
mention it.

> > c7aba7c14e Support subscripting of arbitrary types, not only arrays.

There's an entry that says we allow subscripting of jsonb, but the
feature is more general than that: our subscripting is now extensible,
and jsonb is just the first implementation. I think this should be
mentioned.

> > f40c6969d0 Routine usage information schema tables

This is one small step towards compliance, I think, so it should be
mentioned.

--
Álvaro Herrera 39°49'30"S 73°17'W