Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft
Date: 2021-05-11 20:31:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 01:16:38PM +0300, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
> > OK, what symbols trigger this change? Underscore? What else?
>
> Any symbol, which is recognized as a separator by full-text parser,
> but not tsquery parser. Fulltext search is extensible and allowing
> pluggable parsers. In principle, we could dig the exact set of
> symbols, but I'm not sure this worth the effort.
>
> > You are
> > saying the previous code allowed 'pg' and 'class' anywhere in the
> > string, while the new code requires them to be adjacent, which more
> > closely matches the pattern.
>
> Yes, that's it.
>
> > > * Fix extra distance in phrase operators for quoted text in
> > > websearch_to_tsquery() (Alexander Korotkov)
> > > For example, websearch_to_tsquery('english', '"aaa: bbb"') becomes
> > > 'aaa <> bbb' instead of 'aaa <2> bbb'.
> >
> > So colon and space were considered to be two tokens between 'aaa' and
> > 'bbb', while is really only one because both tokens are discarded? Is
> > this true of any discarded tokens, e.g. ''"aaa ?:, bbb"'?
>
> Yes, that's true for any discarded tokens.

I can up with this text for these two items. I think it still needs ro
be more specific:

<listitem>
<!--
Author: Alexander Korotkov <akorotkov(at)postgresql(dot)org>
2021-01-31 [0c4f355c6] Fix parsing of complex morphs to tsquery
-->

<para>
Fix to_tsquery() and websearch_to_tsquery() to properly parse
certain discarded tokens in quotes (Alexander Korotkov)
</para>

<para>
Certain discarded tokens, like underscore, caused the output
of these functions to produce incorrect tsquery output, e.g.,
websearch_to_tsquery('"pg_class pg"') used to output '( pg &
class ) <-> pg', but now outputs 'pg <-> class <-> pg'.
</para>
</listitem>

<listitem>
<!--
Author: Alexander Korotkov <akorotkov(at)postgresql(dot)org>
2021-05-03 [eb086056f] Make websearch_to_tsquery() parse text in quotes as a si
-->

<para>
Fix websearch_to_tsquery() to properly parse multiple adjacent
discarded tokens in quotes (Alexander Korotkov)
</para>

<para>
Previously, quoted text that contained multiple adjacent discarded
tokens were treated as multiple tokens, causing incorrect tsquery
output, e.g., websearch_to_tsquery('"aaa: bbb"') used to output
'aaa <2> bbb', but now outputs 'aaa <-> bbb'.
</para>
</listitem>

EDB https://enterprisedb.com