Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft
Date: 2021-05-11 02:49:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 10:53:03PM +0900, Ian Lawrence Barwick wrote:
> 2021年5月10日(月) 15:03 Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>:
> >
> > I have committed the first draft of the PG 14 release notes. You can
> > see the most current build of them here:
> >
> > https://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-14.html
> >
> > I need clarification on many items, and the document still needs its
> > items properly ordered, and markup added. I also expect a lot of
> > feedback.
> >
> > I plan to work on completing this document this coming week in
> > preparation for beta next week.
>
> This misses the change of default value, and is a bit unclear:
>
> > Remove password_encryption's support for boolean values, e.g. true (Peter Eisentraut)
> >
> > Previous boolean values enabled md5. Now, only the md5 string does this.
>
> I'd suggest something along these lines:
>
> > The default for password_encryption is now "scram-sha-256" (Peter Eisentraut)
> >
> > The pseudo-boolean values "true", "on", "yes" and "1" are no longer accepted as an alias for "md5".
>
> (It hasn't been a true boolean setting since Pg 9.6).

I reworeded it to:

<listitem>
<!--
Author: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
2020-06-10 [c7eab0e97] Change default of password_encryption to scram-sha-256
-->

<para>
Limit the ways password_encryption can enable md5 hashing (Peter Eisentraut)
</para>

<para>
Previously on/true/yes/1 values enabled md5. Now, only the string md5 does this.
</para>
</listitem>

I also have this entry:

<listitem>
<!--
Author: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
2020-06-10 [c7eab0e97] Change default of password_encryption to scram-sha-256
-->

<para>
Change password_encryption's default to scram-sha-256 (Peter Eisentraut)
</para>

<para>
Previously it was md5.
</para>
</listitem>

I am hesitant to merge them since they are different changes.

EDB https://enterprisedb.com