Re: Reducing opr_sanity test's runtime under CLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reducing opr_sanity test's runtime under CLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS
Date: 2021-05-10 18:19:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2021-05-10 14:06:16 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Hm. But constantly flushing the caches should mean that they're never
> populated with very many entries at one time, which ought to forestall
> that, at least to some extent.

That's probably true...

> I wonder if there's anything we could do to make ResetCatalogCache
> faster? It wouldn't help much for normal execution of course,
> but it might do something to bring CCA testing time down out of
> the stratosphere.

We could make the hashtables shrink, not just grow...

There's also the issue that most people, I assume, run CCA tests with -O0. In
a quick test that does make a big difference in e.g. ResetCatalogCache(). I
just added a function specific annotation to optimize just that function and
the overall time in my test shrank 10% or so.

Greetings,

Andres Freund