Re: Bogus collation version recording in recordMultipleDependencies

From: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bogus collation version recording in recordMultipleDependencies
Date: 2021-04-20 01:46:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 11:13:37AM -0700, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 18, 2021 at 4:23 AM Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > So IIUC the issue here is that the code could previously record useless
> > collation version dependencies in somes cases, which could lead to false
> > positive possible corruption messages (and of course additional bloat on
> > pg_depend). False positive messages can't be avoided anyway, as a collation
> > version update may not corrupt the actually indexed set of data, especially for
> > glibc.
>
> This argument seems completely absurd to me.

I'm not sure why? For glibc at least, I don't see how we could not end up
raising false positive as you have a single glibc version for all its
collations. If a user has say en_US and fr_FR, or any quite stable collation,
most of the glibc upgrades (except 2.28 of course) won't corrupt your indexes.