Re: Allowing to create LEAKPROOF functions to non-superuser

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Allowing to create LEAKPROOF functions to non-superuser
Date: 2021-04-12 21:01:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2021-04-12 23:51:02 +0300, Andrey Borodin wrote:
> Do I risk having some extra superusers in my installation if I allow
> everyone to create LEAKPROOF functions?

I think that depends on what you define "superuser" to exactly
be. Defining it as "has a path to executing arbitrary native code", I
don't think, if implemented sensibly, allowing to set LEAKPROOF on new
functions would equate superuser permissions. But you soon after might
hit further limitations where lifting them would have such a risk,
e.g. defining new types with in/out functions.

Greetings,

Andres Freund