Re: multi-install PostgresNode fails with older postgres versions

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais <jgdr(at)dalibo(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: multi-install PostgresNode fails with older postgres versions
Date: 2021-04-07 19:13:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2021-Apr-07, Mark Dilger wrote:

> It's not sufficient to think about postgres versions as "10", "11",
> etc. You have to be able to spin up nodes of any build, like "9.0.7".
> There are specific versions of postgres with specific bugs that cause
> specific problems, and later versions of postgres on that same
> development branch have been patched. If you only ever spin up the
> latest version, you can't reproduce the problems and test how they
> impact cross version compatibility.

I don't get it. Surely if you need 10.0.7 you just compile that version
and give its path as install path? You can have two 1.0.x as long as
install them separately, right?

> I don't think it works to have a class per micro release.

I don't understand why you would do that.

--
Álvaro Herrera 39°49'30"S 73°17'W
"Crear es tan difícil como ser libre" (Elsa Triolet)