Re: pgsql: Implement pipeline mode in libpq

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: craig(dot)ringer(at)enterprisedb(dot)com, matthieu(dot)garrigues(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Implement pipeline mode in libpq
Date: 2021-04-06 13:53:47
Lists: pgsql-committers

On 2021-Apr-06, David Rowley wrote:

> I'm still not really sure why this code does #define directly followed
> by an #ifdef for that define. However, just to clear up the final
> compiler warning that's currently being produced on MSVC, I've
> attached a proposed patch to fix it.

Hi David, sorry for failing to reply. (I actually did write a reply,
but my mail setup was broken at the time so it was lost. Sigh)

I did not intend to have the define defined at all times. Leaving it
there was an oversight. Let's just remove the #define line; users
interested in that output can turn it on when they need it. Removing it
means less clutter in the buildfarm output. Interesting conditions that
the test should check for should be tested and dealt with by using
pg_fatal, so that the test framework correctly detects a failure. The
pg_debug lines are there just to debug the test itself.

Now about the define being called DEBUG, that was just a silly
oversight; your suggestion to change it to DEBUG_OUTPUT is good, so
let's do that.

I +1 you pushing your patch.

Thanks,

--