Re: New IndexAM API controlling index vacuum strategies

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: New IndexAM API controlling index vacuum strategies
Date: 2021-04-06 00:00:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2021-04-05 16:53:58 -0700, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> REL_13_STABLE will need to be considered separately. I still haven't
> figured out how this ever appeared to work for this long. The
> vac_strategy/bstrategy state simply wasn't propagated at all.

What do you mean with "appear to work"? Isn't, in 13, the only
consequence of vac_strategy not being "propagated" that we'll not use a
strategy in parallel workers? Presumably that was hard to notice
because most people don't run manual VACUUM with cost limits turned
on. And autovacuum doesn't use parallelism.

Greetings,

Andres Freund