Re: Feature improvement: can we add queryId for pg_catalog.pg_stat_activity view?

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Hannu Krosing <hannuk(at)google(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, torikoshia <torikoshia(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, Atsushi Torikoshi <atorik(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tatsuro Yamada <tatsuro(dot)yamada(dot)tf(at)nttcom(dot)co(dot)jp>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Evgeny Efimkin <efimkin(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Feature improvement: can we add queryId for pg_catalog.pg_stat_activity view?
Date: 2021-03-22 21:55:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Mar 20, 2021 at 02:12:34PM +0800, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 12:53:18PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > Well, given we don't really want to support multiple query id types
> > being generated or displayed, the "error out" above should fix it.
> >
> > Let's do this --- tell extensions to error out if the query id is
> > already set, either by compute_query_id or another extension. If an
> > extension wants to generate its own query id and store is internal to
> > the extension, that is fine, but the server-displayed query id should be
> > generated once and never overwritten by an extension.
>
> Agreed, this will ensure that you won't dynamically change the queryid source.
>
> We should also document that changing it requires a restart and calling
> pg_stat_statements_reset() afterwards.
>
> v19 adds some changes, plus extra documentation for pg_stat_statements about
> the requirement for a queryid to be calculated, and a note that all documented
> details only apply for in-core source. I'm not sure if this is still the best
> place to document those details anymore though.

OK, after reading the entire thread, I don't think there are any
remaining open issues with this patch and I think this is ready for
committing. I have adjusted the doc section of the patches, attached.
I have marked myself as committer in the commitfest app and hope to
apply it in the next few days based on feedback.

EDB https://enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
qid-01-jumble_over_master.diff text/x-diff 60.1 KB
qid-02-display_over_qid-01-jumble.diff text/x-diff 35.3 KB
qid-03-explain_over_qid-02-display.diff text/x-diff 5.8 KB