Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Ildus Kurbangaliev <i(dot)kurbangaliev(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods
Date: 2021-03-19 23:54:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2021-Mar-19, Robert Haas wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 6:22 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> wrote:

> > (At least, for binary upgrade surely you must make sure to apply the
> > correct setting regardless of defaults on either system).
>
> It's not critical from a system integrity point of view; the catalog
> state just dictates what happens to new data.

Oh, okay.

> You could argue that if, in a future release, we change the default to
> lz4, it's good for pg_upgrade to migrate users to a set of column
> definitions that will use that for new data.

Agreed, that seems a worthy goal.

> > Maybe it makes sense to dump the compression clause if it is different
> > from pglz, regardless of the default on the source server.
>
> Well, I really do hope that some day in the bright future, pglz will
> no longer be the thing we're shipping as the postgresql.conf default.
> So we'd just be postponing the noise until then. I think we need a
> better idea than that.

Hmm, why? In that future, we can just change the pg_dump behavior to no
longer dump the compression clause if it's lz4 or whatever better
algorithm we choose. So I think I'm clarifying my proposal to be "dump
the compression clause if it's different from the compiled-in default"
rather than "different from the GUC default".

--
Álvaro Herrera Valdivia, Chile
"Para tener más hay que desear menos"