Re: libpq debug log

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com
Cc: iwata(dot)aya(at)fujitsu(dot)com, alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, k(dot)jamison(at)fujitsu(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: libpq debug log
Date: 2021-03-18 08:30:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Thu, 18 Mar 2021 07:34:36 +0000, "tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote in
> From: Iwata, Aya/岩田 彩 <iwata(dot)aya(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
> > > Yes, precisely, 2 bytes for the double quotes needs to be subtracted
> > > as
> > > follows:
> > >
> > > len = fprintf(...);
> > > *cursor += (len - 2);
> >
> > Thank you for your advice. I changed pqTraceOutputString set cursor to fprintf
> > return -2.
> > And I removed cursor movement from that function.
>
> Ouch, not 2 but 3, to include a single whitespace at the beginning.
>
> The rest looks good. I hope we're almost at the finish line.

Maybe.

At Wed, 17 Mar 2021 13:36:32 -0300, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> wrote in
> In pqTraceOutputString(), you can use the return value from fprintf to
> move the cursor -- no need to count chars.
>
> I still think that the message-type specific functions should print the
> message type, rather than having the string arrays.

In other words, pqTraceOutputMessage recognizes message id and calls
the function corresponding one-on-one to the id. So the functions
knows what is the message type of myself and there's no reason for
pqTraceOutputMessage to print the message type on its behalf.

+ pqTraceOutputR(const char *message, FILE *f)
+ {
+ int cursor = 0;
+
+ pqTraceOutputInt32(message, &cursor, f);

I don't understand the reason for spliting message and &cursor here.

+ pqTraceOutputR(const char *message, FILE *f)
+ {
+ char *p = message;
+
+ pqTraceOutputInt32(&p, f);

works well.

+/* RowDescription */
+static void
+pqTraceOutputT(const char *message, int end, FILE *f)
+{
+ int cursor = 0;
+ int nfields;
+ int i;
+
+ nfields = pqTraceOutputInt16(message, &cursor, f);
+
+ for (i = 0; i < nfields; i++)
+ {
+ pqTraceOutputString(message, &cursor, end, f);
+ pqTraceOutputInt32(message, &cursor, f);
+ pqTraceOutputInt16(message, &cursor, f);
+ pqTraceOutputInt32(message, &cursor, f);
+ pqTraceOutputInt16(message, &cursor, f);
+ pqTraceOutputInt32(message, &cursor, f);
+ pqTraceOutputInt16(message, &cursor, f);
+ }
+}

I didn't looked closer, but lookong the usage of the variable "end",
something's wrong in the function.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi